Green Flag Energy Flag
A wonderful celebration for St Michael's raising our second Green Flag for Energy. Preparartions for our flag included carrying out an energy review looking at ways to conserve electricity and heating oil. We rasied awareness by updating our website, sending out parent questionnares and integrating this subject with all cirricular areas. We updated our notice board regulary. The committe organised an Energy Slogan competition involving all the children in the school. We had a Low Energy day in our school which was a great success. Energy workshops were organised by Nial O Connor, allowing the children to learn more about renewable and non renewable energy. There was a trip to Dundalk IT to visit the wind turbines, the children had the opportunity to go inside the turbine to see how it works and learned all about how they save energy.
Well it sure has been an exciting couple of weeks. Conan and Zara represented our school at the Green Schools Flag ceremony in the City North Hotel in Dublin. It was a great day for us all to receive our Green Flag.
Christmas Saving Energy Tips
- Use LED Christmas tree lights.
- Always turn off the lights before going to bed
- Swap electronic games for board games
- Always fill the dishwasher FULL after Christmas Dinner
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Don't obstruct radiators with decorations
- Look for the energy saving logo when buying appliances
Happy Christmas Everyone !!
Energy Saving Tips!!!!!
1. Turn off appliances when they are not in use.
2. Don't overfill your kettle - boil only as much water as you need.
3. Use a clothesline when possible- tumble dryers use a lot of energy
Our Green School Committee 2016/2017
- counting and recording all the lights, radiators and electrical applicanaces within the whole school
- creating pictographs to show this information
- reading electricity and heating bills to get an over view of the amount of energy that has been used within the past year
-reading meters regularly
- creating posters to show awareness of saving electricity within the school
The committee are also continuing to maintain and monitor the litter and waste within the school. There are three litter wardens that are rotated weekly. The litter wardens are responsible for ensuring that there is no litter or waste lying aournd our school. They also ensure that the bins are emptied weekly. The school will continue to recycle whatever materials they can and reuse any material for artwork or craftwork if possible.
Remember....... Reduce Resuse Recycle !!!!
As part of Maths Week the Green School Committee completed their survey on electrical applicances within the school. Using this information they collected they created a pictograph to display this information on the notice board.
A big thank you to all the teachers and the pupils for their participation in our Green School Energy Competition. The Green School Committee had a hard decision to make to decide on the winning slogan.
A big congratualtions to Caoimhe McCabe (6th Class) for her winning poem. Caoimhe received a voucher for the Book Station, we also had runner up prizes in recognition of the wonderful effort made by all of the children.
All our wonder enteries !!!
- The wind turbine was built in 2005
- It is 60 metres tall
- The wind turbine provides electricity for 30% of the college
- The red light at the top allows aeroplanes to see the wind turbine